Causes of leukoertythroblastic change can be split into 2 catagories:
1. Invasion of bone marrow space
- metastatic carcinoma
- Gaucher's disease (covered in next battle)
Leukoerythroblastic change may be indicated by:
- high leucocyte alkaline phosphatase
- Dohle bodies = blue leucocyte inclusions in peripheral cytoplasm of neutrophils
- left shift of neutrophils = younger neutrophils than normal -->less nuclei
As an aside, Dohle bodies are also seen in burns, infection and trauma.
Now for the final short skirmish, Gaucher's disease...