Since sperm do not contain mitochondria mitochondrial disorders are passed exclusively from mother to child.
The most famous mitochondrial disorders are:
- Kearns Sayre - see battle 15.5
- Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy.
- Some forms of sensorineural deafness
Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy
- mDNA mutation
- progressive loss of central vision due to optic atrophy, begins in young adulthood
- if LHON 'plus' also:
- multiple-sclerosis type symptoms
- Wolff-Parkinson White
Next up - some cytotoxic agents (which sadly sounds more exciting than it is)